Alice
- Though I was broke, I bought that sequined dress.
- I have sung, though I have a sore throat.
I had a sore throat. I sang, though.
- My husband is cheating on me; he’s a great
provider, though.
- Though he is a wino, neighbors enjoy
his jokes.
Though he is a wino, his neighbors enjoy his jokes.
Не хватает
притяжательного местоимения his.
- Felon was busted; he will hope to be
free, though.
The felon was busted; he still hopes to be free, though.
Перед felon нужен артикль the.
will hope здесь не употребляется. Лучше использовать hopes,
потому что речь идёт о его нынешнем желании после ареста.
- He was spotted at the casting, but it does not mean he got the role, though.
- Though he was despised by everyone, she stood
by him.
- War is now. I am going to buy a dog, though.
There's a war going on. I'm going to buy a dog, though.
Фраза War
is now неестественна для английского языка. Обычно говорят There is a
war going on или We're at war.
- She is a well-known philanthropist, and
everyone is proud of her. Five
years ago she was in a prison, though.
She is a well-known philanthropist, and everyone is proud of her. Five
years ago, she was in prison, though.
Если человек
был заключённым, говорят in prison, без артикля. Также после
обстоятельства времени Five years ago нужно поставить запятую.
- Though she was a hooker, her husband adored
her.
Комментарий: Слово hooker — разговорное и довольно грубое для этого предложения. В нейтральной речи чаще используют prostitute или sex worker (в зависимости от контекста).
Maks
1. I came to the football match to stand by my friend. I don't like this sport, though.
2. I went on a hike. My bunion was extremely hurt, though.
Лучше сказать так:
I went on a hike. My bunion hurt a lot, though.
или
I went on a hike. My bunion was really hurting, though.
Почему?
Фраза my bunion was hurt встречается редко. Обычно говорят:
- My bunion hurt.
- My foot hurt.
- My bunion was painful.
3. I lent my neighbor some money. There are rumors that he beats his wife, though.
5 . I had a great time with my friends at the restaurant. The food was disgusting, though.
6. I attended his party. I despised him for what he was doing last summer, though.
Грамматически правильно.
Но логически звучит чуть странно, потому что last summer никак не связан с вечеринкой.
Более естественно:
I attended his party. I despised him for what he had done the previous summer, though.
или
I attended his party, though I despised him for what he had done the previous summer.
7. I was thrilled when I watched that documentary about kittens. I have been having nightmares, though.
8. I agreed to have dinner at my grandma's. I was full up, though.
9. I bought another cezve. I already have three, though.
10. Even though I already have three cezves, I bought another one.
11. It was reckless to throw tomatoes at my sister's wedding. It was a lot of fun, though.
12. He continues to provide advice as a lawyer. He has been disbarred, though.
Лучше немного изменить.
Проблема в том, что as a lawyer подразумевает, что он всё ещё является адвокатом.
Лучше:
He continues to give legal advice. He has been disbarred, though.
или
He continues giving legal advice, though he has been disbarred.
13. The sharp edges of the chair caused discomfort. She continued to sit, though.
Грамматически правильно.
Но естественнее:
The sharp edges of the chair were uncomfortable. She kept sitting there, though.
или
The sharp edges of the chair caused her discomfort. She kept sitting there, though.
Почему?
Фраза caused discomfort правильная, но немного книжная. В разговорной речи чаще используют:
- was uncomfortable
- hurt
- made her uncomfortable
No comments:
Post a Comment